Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions: Housing

When choosing a group home, look for one that is clean, in good repair, reasonably landscaped, and appropriate accommodates the people who live there. It should have knowledgeable and caring staff members who are familiar with the unique needs of that group home’s residents. Check to make sure the home is licensed by the state of Tennessee here.

It depends on the level of treatment that a home offers. If it is an assisted living facility, you might be allowed to have a pet. However, some places have more strict rules and pets are not allowed. Check first with the home’s manager.

Most group homes have 4 to 12 beds and many have independent rooms for every resident. You can contact the group home manager, or visit the operator’s website, for information about the number of people who are permitted to stay in a particular group home. 

Any licensed group home is required by law to offer residents three meals a day. These meals may not be withheld for any reason. Some group homes also provide snacks, but snacks are not required. Contact the group home manager if you have questions about the food provided. 

Each home has its own rules about when a person may leave or return to the home. In most cases people are free to come and go as they like. However, the level of care received by a group home resident may affect restrictions on curfews or other rules. Speak with the group home manager about the rules of a facility before moving in. 

Most group homes have designated areas for smoking (usually outdoors). However, each group home has its own rules, which should be reviewed with you before you move in.

I have noticed that some homes require care coordination or case management.

Case management, also called care coordination, is a service designed to assist a client with activities that promote stable life choices. Some services include medication monitoring, referral to other community agencies, help with locating educational or support groups, coordinating with crisis services, help finding suitable housing, and facilitating solutions for medical problems, just to name a few. Payment for care coordination is usually TennCare.

  • Contact a HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agency.
  • Start a savings account.
  • Get a copy of your credit report. Contact the credit agency to go over anything you feel is wrong on your report.
  • Begin keeping receipts of everything, including rent receipts, pay stubs, checking and savings account statements.
  • Be responsible with your bills. Pay them and pay them on time.
  • Try to pay down any credit cards you may have.
  • Stay for at least two years in the same job.