Posted on November 11th, 2019
Certified Peer Recovery Specialists make a commitment to lifelong learning, and continuing education hours are available in many venues. For the most current trainings and webinars available, go to the Training section of the blog.
For a Webinar on Staying Socially Connected while Physically Distancing, Click Here!
Once certified, every CPRS is eligible for two free in-person Continuing Education Trainings per year from TAADAS. To view their training calendar and to sign up for their Training Tuesday emails, visit the TAADAS website.
The CPRS Conference features an ethics training each year. Stephanie Guthrie of United HealthCare Community Plan presented Tennessee CPRS Ethics in 2018. Monty Burks, Director of Faith-Based Initatives for the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, presented CPRS Networking: Building Your Capcity as a Peer through Community-Based Connections.
SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) has a long list of online videos through their BRSS TACS initiative.
Magellan Health has various online e-courses available, including
- Peer Specialists 101: Research, Core Competencies, and Ethics [NOTE: This e-course does not fulfill the annual ethics requirement because it does not include a full hour of ethics training.]
- Peer Specialists 101: the Five Stages in Recovery
- Peer Specialists 101: Using Your Recovery Story
- Peer Specialists 101: Effective Supervision of Peer Specialists
Scroll down on the Magellan Health website to find the Peer Specialists 101 e-courses.
The Doors to Well-Being National Technical Assistance Center has a number of online webinars available, including:
- National Practice Guidelines for Peer Specialists and Supervisors
- Self-Disclosure: Supportive, Safe, and Successful
- Understanding Trauma and Post-Traumatic Growth
- Peer Specialists as Supervisors
Scroll down on the Doors to Well-Being website to find the webinars you are interested in.
The SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions has the following webinars related to peer support:
- Peer-led Interventions to Activate Self-Management for Behavioral and Physical Health
- Leading Wellness: Peer Providers on Integrated Care Teams
- The Role of Peer Providers in Integrated Health
Scroll down on the SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions website to find the webinars you are interested in.
The National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors Technical Assistance Coalition features a number of online webinars, many of which focus on peer-related topics. Scroll to the bottom of each link and look for the “webinar recording” link to view the webinar. Here are few of the peer-related webinars:
- Using Peers to Support Re-engaging Families
- Peer Specialists and Police as Partners Preventing Behavioral Health Crises
- Peer Support: A Critical Component in Supported Housing
And here are more webinars to consider:
Crisis and Engagement
- Peer Support for Young Adults with SMI and/or SUD
- Recovery Supports for Young Adults
- Supporting College Students with Mental or Substance Use Disorders
- Strategies for Supervising Peer Support Workers
Peer Recovery Support
Earn 1 CE